Information Guide To the Alleghany Regional Jail
The following information is provided to any family member or friends of those individuals incarcerated in the Alleghany Regional Jail to provide answers to some of the most commonly asked questions during a persons stay in jail.
What can I mail to an inmate?
Search for an individual to see if they are incarcerated.
Please Read – New Mail Policy for Inmates (printer friendly .pdf)
The mailing address to the jail is:Alleghany Regional Jail C/O Inmates Name 268 W. Main Street Covington, Virginia 24426
*Visitation: Visiting hours for inmates will be as follows:
1:00 pm – 4:30 pm (Male general population only)
5:30 pm – 8:00 pm (Male general population only)
1:00 PM – 4:00 PM (Trusty, Work Release & Work Crew)
1:00 pm – 5.00 pm (Females only)
If you are immediate family which is by policy, Mother/Father, Brother/Sister, Grandparents, Wife/Husband, Children/Step-Children, Step-Parents, you may visit as long as your name has been given to the jail staff by the inmate.
All visits will have a 15 minute time limit
- Money can be left for inmates Monday thru Friday from the hours of 8 AM til 2:30 PM only, money will be received by the jail clerk, money will not be taken during visitation except Wednesday from 1 pm til 2:30 pm.
*Phone Privileges by Inmates:
- Inmates will have access to phones daily.
- Phones will be turned on each morning after housing areas are cleaned by inmates, phones will be turned off at 11:00 pm each night.
- All calls an inmate makes will be a charged to the party which he/she is calling, a 10 minute limit on all calls has been established by the phone system provider.
- No incoming calls will be accepted and no messages will be given to inmates unless it is an emergency such as death in the family etc…
*Items that may be brought to inmates:
The only items that will be allowed to be brought to inmates will be the following:
* Money: Cash or money orders only (No Personal Checks)
* Medication: Prescription medication in original container, then it must be cleared by the medical staff.
* Clothing: One set of clothing to be worn to Circuit Court trials only.
*Note: Any person attempting to deliver any contraband into the Alleghany Regional Jail shall be charged under code Section 18.2-474.
If you should have questions regarding the information provided you may call the Alleghany Regional Jail at (540) 965-1776.